Wednesday, 31 December 2008

Happy New Year!

Our New Year's Eve celebration may not have had all the whizz and bang the kids would have liked, but for me this last New Year's Eve while all my chicks are still in the nest, has been perfect.

We had a 'braai' on the deck, before the kids went their separate ways joining up with friends, or checking out the action on the beach, for the rest of the evening.

As we had done at Christmas, we made an effort to lay the table nicely, and make this into a festive occasion, even though we really miss our friends and family back home during these festive days.

To the boys' glee, we BBQ'd huge marinated 'Texas Steaks', boerewors from the local SA shop, meltingly delicious salmon steaks and garlic prawn kebabs. I made various salads and side dishes, and all was accompanied by my favourite red wine. We were so stuffed after all this, that we skipped desert. Anyway, the kids were all in a hurry to go out on their own.


How did Paul and I end the evening? Shhhush! Don't tell anyone, but us fuddy-duddys watched The 'Sound of Music' and then 'Show Boat' on TV. We must be getting old, because I enjoyed these old musicals more than any noisy party we could have been at!

As I'm writing this, it has started to pour down with rain. It's been a very humid and hot day, so the rain is quite a relief, but I reckon it will place a bit of a damper on the usual fireworks displays...

I am full of hope that the coming year will hold even more wonderful opportunities for us, our children and all our family and friends across the world. Here's wishing you all the very best for 2009.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment