Sunday, 14 December 2008

My Mother's an artist, and my Father's a poet...

When I was in KG II (Grade 2, or Year 2 to the SA and NZ readers), my teacher asked me what my parents' occupations were. Well, at the time my Dad like to write little rhymes and limericks to amuse us, and Mum - well Mum painted. I answered my teacher's question as truthfully as I could: "My Mother's an artist and my Father's a poet." (In reality, at the time both worked in the Standard Bank.)

Mom and Dad, June 2008

I can tell many amusing stories about my creative childhood.

Dad's writing has progressed from limericks, to board reports, to eulogies.... (Sorry, but it's true. He does write them achingly beautifully, though.) Dad stayed creative in many ways - he's a great musician, whistles and sings, and audiences in Swellendam love him. He also does exquisite carpentry, and is still busily filling orders at 71! Recently he taught Laphious, my 'brother' how to make some furniture, and helped him earn some income to help his wife in Zimbabwe. Dad should write a book, though. I shall tell him that!

Here's my Dad, Koos, with Laphious, my Zimbabwean 'brother'. He kindly keeps an eye on my parents for me and lends a helping hand when they need it.

Mom has been painting as long as I can remember. My earliest memories are of our house in Rusape, and of her going to Art lessons.

My fond childhood memories are filled with the smell of oil paints and turpentine, much as other children remember the aroma of freshly baked scones. (Needless to say, Sixpence baked the scones...) I also chuckle when I remember my Grandma's disgust at my Mum using the silver-plated cutlery as a palette knife. She really did... S'trues Bob! She still would, if she had any left. But the rest got bent when she was gardening. Need I say more? I could tell many stories of a freezer filled with.... not freshly prepared lasagnes, or melktert, but... palettes of oil paint.

Growing up in such a creative household had it's merits. To this day I love all forms of Art and I dabble in all sorts of creative arts and crafts. Also, very few quirks of humankind shock or dismay me. I've learned to accept that some people are 'a bit different', and that's OK. One day when I grow up, I want to be an Artist too, just like my Mum!

Here's some of her work. The one on the right is of her latest, which has just been sold by her art dealer. Check out her page on the web for more examples of her art work.


Artwork: Rae Smit, Swellendam. Sikelelaart.com

1 comment: