Sunday, 11 January 2009

How bad is it really in Zimbabwe? A True Story.


Living safely in a country where crime, violence and hardship are rare, one tends to forget about the true situation in Africa. I have just had really bad news, which hits home the reality of what people close to me are experiencing.

In December 1977 I travelled on a train from Bulawayo to Salisbury. For many hours the train was held up by landmines which had been planted on the railway line. Soon after I emigrated with my parents to our new safe country, South Africa.

Image: http://www.charity.org

In October 2005 I was held up at gunpoint by an armed robber. I was on my way to lead a Church Service at the NGO where I was training unemployed people. It was the final straw in a long line of really bad incidents, situations and difficulties in my home country. By 1 December we were on our way to New Zealand.

We have left behind the fear, the poverty, the stress of me not finding a teaching job, my husband being too white, too male and having an Afrikaans surname. But, my family is still there. Today I got distressing news of my 'brother' Laphious, who I have written about before. I am hoping that someone out there may want to help.

This is his story:

Laphious is a Zimbabwean man, with a beautiful wife and clever, hard-working children. He lives in South Africa to earn money to feed his family who he has left behind in Zimbabwe. He became close to my parents through their church where they worship together.

When I visited my aging, but healthy parents in July last year, Laphious was there to help where he could. He took the job of making sure that they were looked after, heating their home properly, and got help with odd jobs. Although they cannot afford to support Laphious, they help him with meals and emotional support where they can. He has become like a son to them, and he calls me his 'sister'. It is a title I bear with pride, for this is a man of character, and a true son of my Father in heaven.

Laphious went home to Zimbabwe for Christmas. He had been very excited and also wanted to make sure that his wife and children had enough food to exist. He reports that the situation is unbearably bad. Even if there was money to buy food, there is no food in the shops. The fields are bare. People are scrounging for food, even scratching for roots and wild berries, and many are dying of hunger.

This morning a tired, hungry, traumatized and penniless Laphious limped into our parent's home. On his journey from Zimbabwe he had been robbed at gunpoint by the taxi driver, and left without his passport, cellphone, clothes or any money in a field somewhere between Johannesburg and Vereniging. He has nothing left. For a few days he stumbled around, and he was fortunate to find odd jobs and make just enough money to make it 'home' to my parents. My mom has taken a few groceries out of her meagre store cupboard to keep him going. They have very little for themselves. Laphious has lost his job, as the factory where he was working has closed. He is able to do basic carpentry and odd jobs.


You and I cannot help every family in Zimbabwe, but maybe we could make a difference to this one.

Please help, if you can. As little as $10 would keep him, and his family going for a while. If you are willing to help, please email me at raenette.taljaard@gmail.com and I will furnish account details, or an address to which you can forward clothes or food. Your prayers would be appreciated too.

(Please note: For safety reasons, I cannot furnish any more of Laphious' details.)

No comments:

Post a Comment